Taking your dog or cat in for professional pet dental cleanings is just as important as providing your pet with food, water and regular physical exams. Even with good regular at-home care, plaque and tartar build up, making professional cleanings essential.
Untreated dental disease can cause significant discomfort and pain, as well as permanent loss of teeth and gum tissue. Remember, your pet cannot tell you when he or she is in pain. Pets rely on their owners to take care of them and recognize when something is out of the ordinary.
How often should I have my cat or dog's teeth cleaned?
Most veterinarians recommend dental cleanings once per year for dogs and cats. However, some breeds may require more frequent professional cleanings. When you bring your pet for a dental cleaning, you can expect the following from us:
1. We will run pre-operative bloodwork to make sure your pet is healthy enough to undergo the anesthesia necessary for the procedure. While modern anesthesia is considered very safe, this is a precautionary measure to minimize any risks.
2. During the cleaning, the veterinary team will monitor your pet’s vital signs to ensure that they are normal. These vitals include respiration rate, heart rate, blood oxygen levels and body temperature.
3. Your pet’s teeth will be cleaned and polished with professional equipment that smoothes the tooth surface, removes tartar and plaque and polishes the teeth.
4. Very loose or infected tooth may be extracted.
5. Antibiotics and/or pain medications may be prescribed depending on the extent of disease at the time of cleaning.
Once the dental cleaning is complete, your pet will be carefully brought out of anaesthesia. We will ensure that your pet has recovered properly before releasing him or her to go home. Follow all home care instructions and be sure to check with your veterinarian immediately if you have any concerns.
Need more information?
Call 07-5715003 to schedule a cleaning or a free dental check up consultation.
Affordable Veterinary Care in Tauranga !
511 Cameron Road, Tauranga, (Between 10th &11th Ave)
SmartVets Animal Hospital